Thursday 20 January 2011

The Sex Pistols - Research

Because of the look of the photoshoot which we are going to go for I thought I would conduct some research into The Sex Pistols, as this seems to be a popular music band which some members of the group have used as their inspiration. The reason I wanted to look at The Sex Pistols was because they are well known for their outrageous behaviour, and their style. The main thing which makes me interested in them is their use of the Union Jack and the queen, which I think is "symbolic" to the band as a whole.
 I wanted to find out some basic information on the band, so I could learn the basics to their background as a band.

The Sex Pistols
The Sex Pistols were an English punk rock band that formed in London in 1975. They were responsible for initiating the punk movement in the United Kingdom and inspiring many later punk and alternative rock musicians. Although their initial career lasted just two-and-a-half years and produced only four singles and one studio album, Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols, they are regarded as one of the most influential acts in the history of popular music.

Below is a youtube clip of The Sex Pistols performing "God Save the Queen" - which is one of their most iconic songs, and which I thought was really appropriate for our research for the appropriated image of the queen on the english bank notes.

Their 1977 single "God Save the Queen", attacking Britons' social conformity and deference to the Crown, precipitated the "last and greatest outbreak of pop-based moral pandemonium".






I created a mood board of images on photoshop which I thought depicted the best bits of The Sex Pistols, I really like the inclusion of the Union Jack in most of the pictures, even if it is just in the background of the image. As you can see, the queen is quite influential in The Sex Pistols promotion, and they also have altered the way she looks.
By creating this mood board it has really helped me to understand the basics to The Sex Pistols, and it really gives inspiration for what style of dress, what colours and poses which are popular in this era, and would work for our photoshoot.



-Beth-

No comments:

Post a Comment